Sunday, March 8, 2009

Shopping Fate

Do you believe in shopping fate? I do. Shopping fate takes on many forms, but this particular instance was just so peculiar, I had to share it with you. Just for funzies, last week I started searching online for a vintage dress. I had no idea what style (or decade) of dress I was looking for, but I knew I wanted to wear it on an upcoming Vegas trip. I stumbled upon this 1970's goddess dress, and fell in love. My excitement quickly turned to dissapointment when I realized my bits and pieces are a few inches larger than the measurements listed for the gown. I didn't want to risk buying a "so tight I look like a sausage" dress, so my only hope was a stellar return policy. So here's where the fashion gods really started to intervene.

While contacting the seller about returns, I notice that they happend to be located in Houston. Chicka chicka yeah! What are the odds? So I emailed the seller, and much to my surprise, they are actually a vintage shop in the Heights that I've been dying to visit: Wear it Again Sam!! I live nowhere near the heights, but last week, coincidentally, work just happened to send me to a location within miles of Wear it Again Sam.

All of these occurrences would be worthless stitches in time if the dress wasn't a keeper. So I tried it on, the heavens opened up, the zipper comfortably reached the top, and it fit like a glove. Oh yeah, and it was only $40. Thank you shopping gods.

Now is where I could use your help... What accessories should I wear to modernize it a bit?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

U could wear Uggs with it. They are like totally modern footwear.

Anonymous said...

There are so many choices. I think I'd go with a nice gold cuff bracelet, maybe some long but dainty earrings.

Dionne said...

LOVE the dress. So ethereal looking! I think wearing a soft flower in your hair would look great with it.

Houston's Weekly Chic said...

Ooh great idea Dionne!

Mulberry Street said...

What a great find! Love the dress!!

Dallas Shaw said...

did you get my style comment??

Dallas Shaw said...

ok: my styling tips. I would switch out the belt for a think double belt that wraps twice, like the new jcrew ones possibly? The a big glitsy bracelt. nothing plastic- something fancy! and heels, but chunky ones and open toe. maybe loose waves and in a pony tail pushed off to the side... styling you said?!

Houston's Weekly Chic said...

Thanks Dal, I knew I could count on you for advice!

Anonymous said...

what a lovely dress ! it meant to be yours. some gold accessories would look good with it, something like a cuff. I've never been to this store, will check it out sometime.