Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Prabal Gurung at Casa de Novia's Atrium




Beth & Prabal, Atrium 2011



I think I'm still blushing a bit. Last night, I attended the the opening of Casa de Novia's new ready-to-wear shop Atrium, and had the honor of sitting down for a chat with Prabal Gurung.

Yes people, THE CFDA Vogue Fashion Fund award winner Prabal! Down here in southeast Tejas, it's rare that we get such an up close and personal glimpse of the NYC fashion world, and there was no way I was going to miss his visit:)

Since their launch in 2009, I have been absolutely mad for Prabal Gurung. I knew I didn't have a lot of time to chat with him last night, so what's a girl to ask?


Let me preface this by saying, I am not a reporter. I am a girl, who loves fashion, loves design, and loves to blog about it. My minor in communications did not prepare me for this type of thing. Although I had my list of questions ready, upon sitting down him, it seemed strange and contrived to go down a list of questions one by one. So I threw that out the window, and just did what any girly girl would do: Gab. So here's generally what we gabbed about:)

Prabal knew that he was destined for the fashion world

"I just knew I always wanted to do this. I wasn't smart enough to be a doctor, so..." he joked. Which I found hilarious coming from the someone who is the considered to be one of the most brilliant minds in fashion today. So what inspires someone like Prabal? When faced with a new season, how does he even get started? I was super impressed with his answer. He doesn't pay attention to trends, he designs for the girl. What girl? The girl who will be wearing his designs. So who is that girl?

" She is intelligent, smart, confident, aware, and she has a place in this modern world."

Hmmm. Us. Ladies, he is designing specifically for us:) Prabal also gave us a little hint for what to expect from him next season. Want to be the first to know? Tune in tomorrow, and I'll reveal his answers:)
xoxo
B

No comments: